View Single Post
Old September 25, 2010, 08:36 AM   #6
kraigwy

This, I believe is not related to SD of the individual but more to toward the Infantryman or LE Officer.

There are several stages of "fear" if you will.

When first confronted, one normally charges in, without thinking, (this is the state where the training first kicks in
).

After the incident is protracted, and the individual thinks about the situation, then the "freezing", its quite common. You are afraid to engage the enemy as you don't want to "make him mad". The length of this state varies between the individual and the situation. At this point, this is where leadership comes in. The leader had to motivates the individual into action.

The leader convinces the individual, the more fire power you put out, the less the enemy will return. The next stage kicks in, you become aggressive, you fight back. This is also the stage where you are at the point where you realize you don't want to let your comrades down. You realize your best chances are sticking together, covering each others back.

This stage is normally followed by anger, though there is still fear, anger takes over and you push forward. (this is the most productive form of fear).

Following the anger/fear stage, is the "don't care phase" often coupled with hate. As this stage progresses it becomes dangerous.

This is "general", it varies with the individual and the threat. I do believe every one goes through the freezing phase at one point or other. The real threat is the HATE stage, that puts the individual and his comrades in danger.

This is something I've witness over and over with every New Guy we got.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.02956 seconds with 8 queries