View Single Post
Old October 21, 2008, 11:18 AM   #17
BigJimP

Katrina Guy - it wasn't me on the front lines down there / but a few of my old comrades were involved ( but all my buddies are around 30 years in now ) / but yes, they made us all proud. Glad to hear you did well during the whole thing / and with the last storms to hit there too.

Its also good to hear that you take your preparedness very seriously - up here in the NorthWest we live a pretty easy life / no tornado's, etc - we might get a windstorm that knocks our power out for a few days / but like you did we lost power for about 6 days a couple weeks before Xmas last year - and a good backpacking stove, some soup, even some old pans I can cook on in the fireplace, candles, etc (just common sense stuff that's easy to keep in a kit) we were in good shape. My wife teases me for keeping so much stuff around sometimes / but its really not hard to do.

But I will tell you - last year the one thing I learned, 6 days out of power, one of my neighbors ran out of a critical medication. We were able to get what he needed - but it was hard ( power down, no computers ..) so older people / or for little kids especially - diabetics, asthma, etc need to really think about stocking an extra perscription in the house for 30 days in their kits. We ended up feeding a lot of older neighbors, etc one good meal a day / had some company too - you have to make the whole thing an adventure. But like you said, if you want flares, then by all means keep them in the kit - and its obvious you have enough common sense to use them properly. Take care.

Page generated in 0.02143 seconds with 8 queries