View Single Post
Old August 16, 2012, 03:59 PM   #8
lockedcj7

Thanks guys

I do have a little knowledge about WWII guns since I've owned and researched a few Garands so I took that experience and ran with it.

I checked out some of the links provided and then went back to the gunshop and checked out the gun again. Here's what I found:

The condition is better than I remembered. It has some normal handling marks and what I thought was brown patina is actually the green-brown original finish. The pitting is really confined to one area on the slide and slide-stop. It is well broken in but far from abused or worn out.

Based on the serial #, it's a 1944 frame with a type 3 slide so that part is consistent. Trying to determine if the small parts are all correct is virtually impossible for several reasons. RR had to source parts from several different manufacturers at different times during production and virtually all issued guns exhibit a mix of parts as a result of arms-room and field repairs.

The story behind the gun is that a WWII vet brought it into the store and sold it. It is supposedly the one that he carried and brought back.

The bottom line is that I want it, I can afford it and twenty years from now I won't remember what I paid for it. I'll be sure to document it better and post some pics when I get it home.

Page generated in 0.03241 seconds with 8 queries