View Single Post
Old May 9, 2010, 08:20 AM   #7
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
I recently got married and am now interested in protecting my wife, myself and my property.
Read and heed Glenn E. Meyer's post about comprehensive training that includes the legal aspects. Using deadly force to protect property is not appropriate in most jurisdictions.

Quote:
I am just wondering if the shooting skills and abilities we already have are adequate. ... With the Mosberg, I can put 6 3 inch 1 oz rifled slugs on a quarter sized silhouette at 25 meters...with the M200, I can get all 6 shots with slow stead aim on target in about 15-20 seconds. With the Glock, I can hit 10-12 shots on the target every time out of 15 in the mag. They are also slow and aimed but much faster than the M200. .... If anyone can answer this question of if this skill is more than good enough for home defense, I will greatly appreciate it.
Consider this: I just completed a defensive shooting class. All exercises but one involved shooting at steel torso sized plates at seven yards. There were many repetitions involving rapidly shooting two shots at each of three targets in very rapid succession--say, in less than two seconds for the six shots.

Why? An incident will likely unfold in the blink of an eye, the threat may well be moving very fast indeed, and you may be out numbered.

The training in which I participated was probably more suited to outdoor scenarios, but unless you have a living room that is rather long, and unless you are for some reason highly confident that your threat will lack either decisiveness or survival instincts or both and that he (or they) will elect to hesitate before endangering you and to subsequently to stand rather still while you shoot, I do not think that you should stop with practicing slow aimed fire at a distant target.

Look to see what's available in or near your area. Remember that, as Bartholomew Roberts put it, much of self defense is not about shooting at all.

Page generated in 0.02984 seconds with 8 queries