View Single Post
Old September 23, 2009, 07:05 PM   #4
colostomyclown

I agree with Insight to a point. But I'm talking about an adequate period procedure for an HD gun or gun you really have no interest in using outside of a time when you should need it. Personally, it isn't a whole lot of fun for me to take out a 500 dollar HD shotgun like my 590a1 with extension or a Sig Sauer pistol and beat it up, beyond the prescribed break in/evaluation period. I have my Mosin Nagant, my 22's and my single shot New England firearms shotguns and soon a simple blued 500 for wanton shooting/hillbilly skeet.

Here's a method I'm starting to like. I'd like you guys to chime in and let me know if you agree or disagree with my thoughts here.

Let's say we have a new simple, 18.5" Mossberg 500 persuader. I will NOT clean the cosmoline and bore out before shooting. I'll do this because I believe the added gunk inside the receiver will help the gun more to wear in faster...more friction on the moving parts. It obviously won't be as smoothe, but that's the tradeoff.

I'll take out said gun in factory condition and put a solid 500 shells through it in one afternoon. That's over a hundred dollars worth of ammo. As before, I will NOT clean the receiver. I'll scrub and oil the bore smoothe and clean and take the gun out the following weekend. I'll put 50 rounds of HEAVY loads (2 and 3/4" slugs and buck at the least, but preferably 3" for that extra oomph) and 50 more rounds of loaw base klead target rounds. I'll then fully disassemble, deep clean and go over any rough spots with an abrasive and get it smoothe. I'll then lubricate and store the firearm.

How do you guys feel about this method?

Page generated in 0.03309 seconds with 8 queries