View Single Post
Old August 9, 2009, 12:39 PM   #4
Evan Thomas

Quote:
I feel that the more times you induce a full adrenaline rush while performing any task, you overall physical and mental capacities will learn to operate up to or above your overall abilities while not dosed up with adrenaline.
Hogdogs, I think it's exactly relevant. One of the main points of training and practice is that you become accustomed to the adrenaline-inducing events, so that your "flow of adrenaline" is either much reduced, or you learn to manage it -- most likely both.

I don't run hogs or ride motorcycles, but I'm a whitewater canoeist... I'm not brilliant at it, but after many years of doing this, I can, calmly and with control (on a good day! ), run rapids above which I'd have been paralyzed with fear when I started out. Some of that is physical skill which requires training and practice to acquire, some of it is having learned how to read the river, so I know what to expect at a given point, and some of it is just having done it enough times that I'm no longer afraid of some pretty big water.

And MLeake's point, that physical events will still affect you even if you're so stoked with adrenaline that you don't notice them consciously, is an excellent one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyo
You literally become super human. Your vision becomes intense, your body moves so fast, and you make decisions faster than you can think because your brain is turned off.
Umm, not exactly. When your brain is turned off, you're dead.

There's plenty of literature out there on what the effects of adrenaline are (mostly on your autonomic nervous system, rather than on your brain), and you might want to read up on this.

Page generated in 0.02112 seconds with 8 queries