View Single Post
Old June 21, 2000, 05:41 PM   #17
REDMISTMD

Elk hunting is a art,and you dont usually get one by luck. It takes alot scouting and knowing the area well to be successful at a good elk hunt. I talk to too many hunter who go out unprepared and dont see a thing. here in utah we have a great elk heard. The elk range in elevation from 6500 ft to 12000ft many areas have a draw some real good area just needd some good scouting.I have 2 places I hunt.In one place on opening morning the elk herd up and move up one paticular area I have seen many 300 class bulls there in one 3 day huunt.If I wanted to I could take a bull by 9 am on any opening morn.Its just knowing the routine and habits of the elk that you want to hunt in any paticular area. It is not usually by chance that you see one maybe back east not here. Last year my stepgrandfater drew out in the Book Cliffs and we scouted it out 4 different times and come opening morn he had down a330 class bull by 9 am its knowing the area!! Its knowing the herds routine and their habits.Theyre really not as hard to hunt as people think but some big elk just hang out in some tough areas. my shots usually are less than 200 yds so a good 30 caliber does the trick.I have a good friend who has killed over 40 elk last year he got a 360 and 340 class bulls on public land not bad for a bunch a guys from utah.

Page generated in 0.03681 seconds with 8 queries