Thread: Hunting Packs
View Single Post
Old July 14, 2006, 01:03 PM   #8
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

I think FF is more interested in the actual pack than its contents .

Having been an avid backpacker in years gone by, I tend to go more with packs designed for that end, rather than those specifically designed for hunting. I think hunting packs are designed primarily for hunting gear, with less emphasis on comfort and weight distribution. Packs like those designed by North Face and Kelty are designed after the desires and suggestions of generations of serious backpackers, and tend to be more comfortable after trudging over miles of rough ground.

There are so many makes & models out there today, it's hard to make a choice. Frameless packs are OK for day hikes or short distances, but a frame pack is the way to go for long distances or considerable weight. The weight rests on your hips, and not your shoulders & back. The belt should be well padded. If you notice a small amount of discomfort in the first mile, you'll be absolutely miserable after 10 miles.

Then the question presents itself, internal or external frame? I think that's pretty much a personal choice, but I prefer an external frame, even though it seems to go against main stream preferences today. I like being able to detach the pack from the frame easily for cleaning, etc., and I can jury rig a holster to the frame so that I have a shoulder holster, of sorts.

My choice, either a North Face or Kelty external frame pack, with a slight edge given to the Kelty.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie

Page generated in 0.02505 seconds with 8 queries