View Single Post
Old March 1, 2011, 09:49 AM   #25
Sport45

So how is it the valve springs in a '83 pickup truck with 150,000 miles can still meet tolerance for height and compression? That's after being compressed for 25 years and cycling to near-stack some 135 million times? (I put them back in.)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Properly made, designed, and maintained springs don't wear out, unless they are stressed past their elastic limits.
I agree in loose/general terms.

For brevity, I left out the however part. But how can you "agree in loose terms" with this and believe the same thing said with different words is wrong on so many levels? All in the same post?

A paper clip is a good example. You can bend it back and forth until it breaks. That's fatigue failure. Have you ever seen a paper clip break from normal use?

Keep in mind this thread is about magazine springs. And I'm jumping to the conclusion that quality magazine makers select springs that aren't stressed past their elastic limit when the magazine is fully charged and pressed against the bottom of a slide.

Page generated in 0.02889 seconds with 8 queries