Thread: Hog Arsenal
View Single Post
Old January 20, 2012, 08:46 AM   #12
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
What would be a recommended gun for a hog hunt? I know we could use the 12ga with slugs. I also know that some of the requirements will be based on the setup and location of the hunt (woods vs fields). What would you suggest for a gun for a hog hunt? I doubt we'd go out and buy anything, but might be able to borrow a couple rifles if needed.
12 ga slugs out of a smooth bore shotgun barrel are probably best at distances 50-75yards or less just because of accuracy issues, which for hunting in the woods may be much more range than you will need. The same for the 20 ga. The .22-250 should work fine.

Quote:
Dragging a dead pig further than fifty yards can be a demanding task, depending on size.even the smaller ones. So unless you can get the chosen DPTV LOL (dead pig transport vehicle) (just made that up) near the dead pig, don't shoot them to far away.
LOL, we drug a 130 pounder only about 100 yards and it had us winded pretty good. It would have been easier to carry it over my shoulder, but then I would have been all bloody. Pedestrian dragging of pigs is not efficient at all.

Page generated in 0.02675 seconds with 8 queries