Thread: DIY sbs
View Single Post
Old June 2, 2010, 11:01 PM   #3
Joat

Shortening the mag tube is easiest if you shorten it from the receiver end of the tube, unless you have a lathe and can re-thread the end. The magazine tube is soldered nto the receiver and will have to be removed and replaced with heat. Very carefully so as not to damage the receiver. Remember, the mag spring (and possibly the follower)will also have to be shortened.

The easiest way to modify the action bars is to take the material out of the middle of the bars and weld the ends back together, kind of like chopping the top on a car. After welding the bars they will have to be drawn and tempered to prevent cracking.

Unless you are moving the barrel ring back neither of these operations is necessary. If you are, the ring is brazed in place and must be properly orientated to, and spaced from the bottom, of the barrel when put back on. Once again tempering and drawing post welding will be required to maintain the needed strength. If you are not experienced with precision welding, seek competent help before putting fire to metal.

Good luck, build it as described ont the form 1, take a lot of pictures, and share your experience when you're done.

Joat

Page generated in 0.03378 seconds with 8 queries