View Single Post
Old February 26, 2012, 08:37 PM   #1
603Country

I thought that the rut was over. It's apparently not.

Though deer season is over, I'm still in the woods looking for coyotes and the evil pigs. I see plenty of deer most every evening but the boys and girls haven't seemed to be very interested in the opposite sex - until this evening. I've got does to my distant left and a buck to my distant right, and one nice 8 point buck going north just to my left. About 20 minutes later, here comes a doe going south to my right, and she's in a hurry. Not running, but it's a fast nervous walk. In a few minutes, Here comes a big 10 point (that I last saw the day BEFORE the season) tracking her with his nose. Behind him by 2 minutes is a 6 point, also following the same doe track. It was almost dark by then, so I carefully and quietly crept out of the box blind and was halfway down the stairs (no ladder for me, bucko) when two more bucks to my immediate left snorted and stared and finally trotted off. The doe that was being pursued must have been the last 'good looking single girl' in the local area. I don't know why I thought the rut was over. I just assumed that it was. I was wrong, at least in my part of east central Texas. That 10 point was a nice buck, I'm very happy that nobody shot him, and he was young. I'm ready for next season.

Page generated in 0.02931 seconds with 8 queries