Thread: Armadillos
View Single Post
Old December 1, 2011, 11:52 AM   #12
Hog Buster

We’re loaded with the little varmints here. They tear up my garden every year, this year was especially bad. They ain’t hard to kill, anything from a .17HMR up will do the job. They are pretty tough however. Like Paw Paw if you hit them with a .22 they flip and flop for a few seconds and generally run off to die somewhere else.

Last year I grabbed my .375 Winchester to do one in. Hit dead center with a cast bullet and watched him start flipping. Put the rifle down and was amazed to see him stop flipping and run off into the woods with a hole as big as a golf ball thru his shell. Like I said they’re tough little varmints.

Any expanding bullet for any deer caliber rifle or pistol will generally disembowel them, which can leave a mess to clean up, if shot around the house.

When caught live they can pinch or cut your hand with the sections of their shell or tail. They can also scratch you with their long sharp claws. There's been some study done that they may be carriers of leprosy. Might be a good reason not to handle them at all.

Page generated in 0.03823 seconds with 8 queries