View Single Post
Old March 14, 2011, 02:21 PM   #33
scsov509

Based on what you're describing, particularly the ease with which you're able to seat bullets in sized cases, I'd also look at how much flare your putting on your cases. Remember that neck tension and not crimp is what holds a bullet in place. So, if you're putting too much flare on a case, then you're going to have problems getting the finished cartridge to hold the bullet in place no matter how much crimp you apply. So check to make sure you're using the minimal amount of flare needed to start the bullet and no more.

If that doesn't help or you're not using too much flare, you might want to check the expanded plug on your die to make sure it's in spec. I'd especially recommend this if you're using Lee dies. I've got nothing against Lee, and use lots of their products. However, within the last year I had a similar problem with setback in .45 that I ultimately traced to a Lee expanded plug that was out of spec. It's as simple as a phone call to Lee with the plug and some calipers in hand to verify, and it could well be the culprit if you're simply not getting enough neck tension to hold the bullet. Another way to check that, what I did in my case, was borrow dies from a friend and verified that I didn't experience the same problems using his expanding die.

Page generated in 0.03097 seconds with 8 queries