View Single Post
Old November 4, 2008, 03:12 PM   #8
jimpeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky B
They are indeed linked but not inextricably (at least not in this forum, I suspect).
While I agree with the rest of your premises in the post, there is an inextricable oneness to laws and politics. The Supreme Law of the Land was created by people who had suffered under prior laws they disagreed with. They became politicians to change this; and they did.

I think that where the forum demands separation of the politics is in the analysis of the politicians and parties themselves. "That d---ed <insert name> always votes with the <insert party> because he is a party hack." far differs from <Insert name> could be the deciding vote which sways the <passage/defeat> of <insert bill>."

True, there are partisan bills which are hoisted by one party or another; but that is within the scope of the original intent. The planks of the party platform are always clearly stated. The Founders purposely created a partisan, adversarial government and called it the "Great Experiment". The great debate continues to this day.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey

Page generated in 0.02797 seconds with 8 queries