Thread: Mugging assault
View Single Post
Old January 9, 2012, 02:38 PM   #12
hangglider

OK--let me get some more information on the table and maybe that will help.

While I think "requiring" location on an Internet post crosses the line in terms of privacy--I've already revealed in other posts that I live in Chattanooga, TN. Violent crime, shootings and murders have reached epidemic levels here, mostly related to gang activity--but not always. Roving gangs are very common in my neighborhood, and I do have dogs which I have to walk several times a day. Kinda sucks if you feel the "prudent" thing is to stay indoors and never go anywhere for fear of provoking an attack.

Up till now I've been mostly "smart-mouthed" and I am NOT a confrontational person--I am the chicken that's going to always walk or run away if at all possible--so my real question was not exactly "what if I draw and blow a guy away" during a gang encounter.

However--unless you've encountered these kinds of people and seen what they can do very quickly, you may not really appreciate what I'm asking.

I'm really wondering if I'm making my situation worse by carrying at all--because my inclination would be to not draw unless faced with deadly force. Given that, I could see being "swarmed" by a gang, disarmed of my carry and then God knows what.

I'm not questioning that additional training is in order--though even that is hard to figure--do I need to become a black-belt martial artist or chapion-level boxer? (I'm actually a pretty old, moderately out-of-shape guy who just doesn't have the time or money for extensive committed training)

Page generated in 0.03301 seconds with 8 queries