Thread: De - Evolving
View Single Post
Old February 16, 2006, 12:10 AM   #22
springmom

ah, that makes sense

You know, I have been on this forum for several months, and I've come to recognize the tendency to be drawn deeper and deeper into the "preparedness at every single second" mindset. I expect it could pretty much drive you batty if you go too far down that road.

I see the temptation in myself... when you start asking "what if", you can go pretty far off. If being ready for anything and everything is what a person really feels they need to do, fine; but the truth is that most of us only draw our guns when we are practicing drawing our guns, and most of us will live to a ripe old age without ever needing to bug out, shoot somebody in self defense, or set up on the roof to hold off the great unwashed hordes when "the SHTF".

I was definitely tempted to go pretty far in survival planning after the hurricanes this last fall. I've made peace with *not* having hundreds of gallons of gasoline stashed away, with having a couple of weeks of bottled water and canned propane for the Colman lantern and stove, and canned food so that if we get smacked head on by the next Rita or Katrina, we won't go without water and food. I keep my equilibrium on this by looking at my 80-year old dad who only ever carried a gun in WW II and has managed without having any more preparedness than what he carries between his ears.

Take some time to do normal stuff. Forget about bugging out and worrying about everything that could possibly happen, and just relax. Just don't get to the point of taking unnecessary risks; you can carry the handgun without giving in to the all consuming what-if-itis.

Peace, friend.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun

Page generated in 0.03004 seconds with 8 queries