View Single Post
Old December 11, 2013, 06:34 PM   #23
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by southjk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohazard
Rack the slide to the rear three times. Don't try to capture or catch the round in the chamber, just let it go; you can pick it up when you're done (and if more than one round comes out, you obviously missed Step One).
Why not? It's very easy to place your hand over the slide opening, tilt gun to side, rack the slide and catch. I do it quite often and have never had a problem. What am I missing?
Many instructors - especially law enforcement instructors - teach this for a few reasons, one being that there are cases of the round getting stuck in the ejection port and being fired by the ejector when the gun is cleared this way. But the main reason is that turning the gun and cupping the round in your palm is a more complicated procedure where the gun is more likely to be pointed in an unsafe direction during the process.

The method of clearing a handgun I described has been found to be more foolproof than other methods. Not to say you can't be safe doing it another way, but the way I described is better for most people.

Page generated in 0.02143 seconds with 8 queries