View Single Post
Old August 31, 2015, 11:38 PM   #18
Pathfinder45

While it's generally better to just start a new thread, for me, this is one that was good to read back through. It may be useless to try to ask questions to some of the old posters that may never come back, however I will venture a comment to one of the older posts: I am not a fan of the fiber-optic sights, as they are just too anachronistic, futuristic, sci-fi-come-reality devices that have no place on a rifle that is either an artifact of a bygone age, or a replica thereof. My main shooting buddy doesn't quite grasp the sense of this, so he put fiber- optics on his '94 Winchester, (about 1973 vintage).
Now, about having a large front bead sight: It's better to see it quickly than have a hard time finding it. My 1942 vintage Winchester had such a fine bead that it was difficult to see in anything but the most ideal range conditions. I say, go with a fairly large round bead, file flat, but at a 45 degree angle or so to reflect more light, clean with acetone, and top-coat with a hard fingernail polish of your choice. Sight in with a six- o'clock hold, so that you can see your target, (Deer, right?), over the bead. I like the idea that the bullets should strike right on, that is, touching, the top of the bead at 150 yards, if it's a 30-30 Winchester. If you are halfway between, aim at the heart, maybe hit the lungs instead, but you will bring venison home. Plus, you can see your target. Got a short shot? Just put the bead where you want the bullet to go and shoot.
Now about tang-mounted peeps: Marbles makes one for the tang that is adjustable for both windage and elevation. They cost more than the Lyman, but with the Lyman, windage is adjusted with the front sight, if possible, and shimming one side of the other if not.

Page generated in 0.02362 seconds with 8 queries