View Single Post
Old September 3, 2013, 02:01 PM   #18
Sabre9mm

Interesting update, I just spoke to a individual with some ties in one of the local gun rights organisations and he informed me of things I was not aware of.

Apparently in Texas it is NOT legal to carry long guns in the vehicle openly, at least not anymore (although I still see it all the time). After a little more research it seems as, though it is seldom enforced outside certain municipalities, that the practice is indeed not legal, that to open carry a long gun it has to be in your possession under your immediate control. Meaning even if you sit it down and take your hands of it in public you would could be in violation.

So by the same token of cannot expose it in your vehicle, becomes the bigger issue of *how do I not expose it* on my bike.

He was however as saddened as I in the department of LEO office not being able to answer that question clear and concise...

He said the theory has been tested, and a few times recently, the results have varied, some got ignored, some did indeed get pulled over and simply warned, but others have been cited and legally so.

The clear answer is conceal it, nothing prevents you from carrying a case that looks like a gun or anything else, and the question of "what is in the bag?" is ONLY valid if they have a good reason for asking AKA probable cause. Doing otherwise is an invitation for trouble and a sure loose under the letter of the law regardless of what I *may* get away with.

I think I can live with that, I sure would love to see the exact wording though, he is going to ask to get the exact statutes involved so I may pass them on.

Page generated in 0.03891 seconds with 8 queries