View Single Post
Old July 7, 2010, 06:31 AM   #41
BlueTrain

I certainly agree with your statement that some carry methods don't lend themselves to a fast draw. If you've ever seen Chic Gaylord's old book, you might be surprised at some of the hideout places he mentions. But he went into fast draw at great length in his book just the same.

Ultimately I suppose it is another case of a compromise between a fast draw set up and concealment, if that is part of the equation. There is also security for the handgun, so it doesn't get lost, and to some extent, protection of the handgun from the elements. In fact, you might say that just about every practical consideration in a holster beyond fast draw detracts from a fast draw in some way. A fast draw from a flapped holster is just about impossible, for instance. However, most of those other carries usually thought of as deep carry are generally thought of as being for a second gun or when concealment is the most important consideration.

There has been mention in obscure places of men who habitually carried a small pistol like an old-fashioned derringer in their left hand pocket where they could keep a hand on it when they felt the need. That's a good idea (and old fashioned) but I don't suppose that fits the context here. But some older carry methods that seemed to have gone out of fashion were, I'm given to understand, were quite fast. There doesn't seem to be much mention of shoulder holsters here but maybe I'm not reading the right threads. You can carry just about anything in a shoulder holster and provided you come to terms with what is basically a cross draw, they can be fast and moreover, they don't drag down your pants.
Buy War Bonds.

Page generated in 0.02861 seconds with 8 queries