View Single Post
Old February 10, 2009, 11:04 AM   #1
IUGradStudent

Marlin 81 not feeding -- Help!!!!

Hi all,

I picked up a Marlin 81 (not 81 DL) at an auction for dirt cheap. I'm new to rimfires and I thought this would be a good start for me. Got it home, cleaned it up, and took it out and it is not feeding AT ALL. Won't feed a single round. I've only tried Federal bulk from Wal-Mart and a Winchester (don't know what kind) that a guy at the range let me try. I've noticed at least a few issues:

When I close the bolt, the mechanism which should pick up the next round doesn't pick it up, so when I open the bolt the cartridges are still all in the tube. If I press down on the mechanism, it will pick up a cartridge, but then it does not align at the right angle. When I let up on the mechanism (now with a cartridge in it), it pops up but does not properly align the cartridge with the chamber -- the nose of the bullet is at too high of an angle. When I press the bolt forward it will engage with the cartridge, but since the cartridge is at the wrong angle the nose of the bullet hits above the chamber and does not enter the chamber.

I can use my finger and wiggle it around so the nose is in the chamber, and then I can close the bolt on it and fire the round.

Then, to top things off, the extractor only works about 1 out of 4 times, usually leaving the casing attached to the bolt.

I'm going to disassemble, thoroughly clean again, and put some machine grease on all the moving parts.

Other help?

Page generated in 0.03144 seconds with 8 queries