View Single Post
Old August 20, 2012, 10:56 PM   #37
Ideal Tool

Hello, everyone. Concerning that 200 yd. shooting exhibition..The match was just about finished for the day..most shooters had left..only myself, and two or three old timers were left. If I remember correctly, I was the only one mesmerized by this shooting..the others kind of took it all in stride. Now the fellow doing the shooting was on his own back-yard range..way out in country with cornfields surrounding house...probably unlimited amount of practice time..since he had just retired. Sadly, diabetes took those wonderful eyes, and later his life.
I have always been facinated by the old-time 1000yd. matches of Creedmoor & Wimbledon. I have a book with detailed information on these matches & dimensioned drawings of the huge chilled cast-iron targets they used. The bull was steel..and gave a distinctive ring..as opposed to the dull clunk of the iron..What I would give to be able to witness those far off rings.
Since my home range is limited to 100yds..I scaled those 1000yd targets to 1/10 size. the 10 ring is 3.6" in dia. Looking thru irons, it looks like a pencil dot out there. 200yds. would give a more realistic feel... what wth wind and mirage, and they could easily be scaled for such a distance.
I printed them on heavy paper..both the early square, and later round bulls.
Last summer, I used a customized BSA 12/15 match rifle, stocked in English walnut & re-barreled with a 30" heavy 1" at muzzle barrel made by H.M. Pope in 1930. brl. has scope blks, but I used the BSA adj. appature rear, & Watson interchangeable appature front.
Shooting prone, with & without sling..I was able to keep most in the black..but this rifle is heavy! even with sling, I found I had to lay rifle down after each shot..got to get in better shape!
I was even thinking of contorting my old carcase into one of them fancy creedmoor back positions!..Have to watch the toes!

Page generated in 0.02353 seconds with 8 queries