View Single Post
Old March 23, 2010, 02:41 PM   #1
wilkup

.45 ACP +P vs. 10mm

Before this thread begins I want to be clear that I don't want this to turn into a ******* match. I know people get all upset when threads like this get started and someone usually gets offended and am NOT interested.

I was recently stalked by a cougar while on a hike with my girlfriend for the last mile or so to the car. I irresponsibly was hiking towards dusk and realize that's the first and best way to avoid getting placed into such a bad circumstance, but in the event I do accidentally find myself in a similar situation I'm hoping to be better prepared next time.

After spending the better part of an hour at the local gunshop and picking the brains of 2 highly respected dealers, I thought I'd come on here and hear what you all have to say before making any decisions or purchases. I'm interested in the .45 ACP +P and the 10mm. I have included the two rounds I would most likely be packing with me in the woods.

Here's the rounds, from Buffalo Bore:
.45 ACP +P Ammo - 255 gr. Hard Cast FN (925 fps/M.E. 484 ft. lbs.)
Heavy 10mm Ammo - 220 gr. Hard Cast - FN (1,200 fps/ME 703 ft. lbs.)

My pistol choices are the Glock 29 or 30 for these rounds since I already shoot well with Glocks and don't want to learn a new platform.

I will also be using whichever gun I end up choosing for my CCW as well, but obviously will be carrying a different round for SD as opposed to the woods gun.

Now I want to know what the pros and cons to each of these calibers are. I want to feel safe in the woods and right now I'm leaning heavily towards the 255 gr. 45 round! Please help me pick the right caliber for the job. I live in the northwest (Seattle area) so the ability to take down a black bear would be a nice feature as well...

Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Page generated in 0.02213 seconds with 8 queries