View Single Post
Old April 27, 2014, 03:11 PM   #39
johnwilliamson062

I'd like to try to clarify something in this thread if I can. I think some are following and some are not.
The "initial blast" of the gun occurs at the shooters position and ONLY at the shooters position. It is louder than the sonic boom of the bullet. It is somewhat directional out the muzzle and/or the direction the rifle is ported, but not entirely.
The sonic boom of a supersonic bullet occurs along the bullets flight path as long as it is supersonic. It radiates from the position of the bullet at any point in time(more or less).

300 yards down range on the flight path of the bullet the sonic boom is probably much louder than the "initial blast" as it is originating at that point at that time and the blast is from 300 yards away. Standing off the bullets flight path 300 yards and 300 yards from the position of the shooter, the initial boom will be louder.

The point of using a suppressor with a super sonic load is to significantly reduce the sound heard at a point not along the bullet path. Say a house 1000 meters to the right of the shooters position. The first morning of gun season non-shooters can constantly hear gun shot in the country all over Ohio. This bothers some people. If suppressors were used they would not be heard.

Page generated in 0.03559 seconds with 8 queries