View Single Post
Old September 4, 2000, 07:49 AM   #12
Bud Helms

Probably not.

For myself, I just don't shoot mil-surp. If I come into some, it has to be free, as in no cost. I also decide whether I want to deal with the military primer crimp. Then you have to get that yucky shellac off the case ... Did I say that reloaders don't include their time in the cost? Dealing with mil-surp will definitely make you think about it! If you are shooting 7.62x39 mil-surp in an AK or SKS that was made for that ammo, then by all means shoot it. I'd want to be sure my AK or SKS was up to "snuff" (issue standards) and not some substandard copy. But I'm not into AKs and the like. I forgot about them.

I'm looking at a recent Sportsman's Guide mailout and see 7.62x39 for as low as $0.14 (14 cents) per round for 1000 rounds. A 20 count bx is $3.97 (20 cents per round). This stuff is not reloadable. I'd have to reload quite a while to catch up with that "per round" price. It's steel cased and Berdan primed (not reloadable). It is described as non-corrosive, though I never trust that claim about foreign mil-surp ammo. A box of 20 reloadable Federal 7.62x39 looks to be $7.97 in this issue. That's 40 cents per round. If I didn't reload already and had an AK or SKS I liked to shoot, I might buy the mil-surp too.

Dangus, your use of the term "factory ammo" in place of mil-surp kinda threw me off .... not quite the same thing.

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited September 04, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.02165 seconds with 8 queries