View Single Post
Old May 29, 2000, 12:43 PM   #2
Fred J. Drumheller
Retired Screen Name

I load several belted magnums, and have never encountered such a ring. I have heard of one though.

First, I hope you're NOT crushing the shellholder with the die. This is asking for short case life due to early head seperation. Instead, back the sizing die out until it does NOT touch the shoulder of a fired case. Now, smoke the shoulder with a candle and screw the die in, & try until you are just touching the shoulder. Try the resized case in your rifle. We'll assume that the bolt can not be easily closed. If this is the case, screw in the sizing die a little more, and try again. Repeat with several cases until your bolt closes properly. You will now achieve "normal" case life.

As to the ring above the belt, one can appear after firing a round "fitted" in the above manor. If it does, the rifle has excess head space. The case is deforming into the recess in the chamber for the belt. The rifle should be taken to a gunsmith, and the problem corrected.

Please remember the the only purpose for a belt on a magnum case is so that it will function in a classic British double rifle. It is, in fact, a positive hinderence in a bolt gun. Why is it there on rounds intended only for bolt guns? MARKETING!!! "If'n it ain't got a belt, it ain't a MAGNUM." What about the Remington Ultra-Mags?

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

------------------
Fred J. Drumheller
NRA Life
NRA Golden Eagle

Page generated in 0.03899 seconds with 8 queries