View Single Post
Old November 18, 2008, 02:25 PM   #1
zjeepgozweeln

Wild Boar/Pig hunting... which sidearm to carry?

I'm going to be hunting some pig with my .308 here in CA. I like being prepared... Is a model 1911 .45 ACP or another semi auto 9mm enough to stop a charging pig? Should I pickup a .357 or .44 revolver? I've read some people recommend a magnum with a 6" barrel minimum for wild swine.

I don't own a real handgun, yet. (I don't consider my .25 ACP Ortgies antique much firepower) I've shot them all and can handle anything. There is no such thing as all purpose, but it would be nice to be able to take it to the range and not empty my wallet every time. I like the fact that the 1911 is semi auto and the 9mm or .45 ammo would be cheaper than the magnum. The .357 would be acceptable because I can shoot .38 specials as well.

Budget is definitely a consideration. So I'm thinking a basic 5" 1911 that I can customize later. Magnum wise I'm looking at a Ruger GP161 double action 6" bbl.

Any thoughts?

P.S. If you're about to recommend a Desert Eagle, forget it. I'm not impressed with those unreliable Hollywood POS(sorry if I offended any owners).

Last edited by zjeepgozweeln; November 18, 2008 at 02:41 PM. Reason: clarify

Page generated in 0.03097 seconds with 8 queries