View Single Post
Old October 28, 2005, 11:31 AM   #14
Quail Fat

Hell, why do people hunt ducks, geese and turkey with a 12ga? A .20ga has a lot less recoil and will kill em' just as well. Maybe people feel the need to extend their range with a 12ga, when a good marksman can do the job with a 20ga.. How many wounded geese fly off injured because some over confident 12ga shooting "flincher" took a shot when the goose was out of range? Or what about the 12ga shooter who flinches when the goose was in range, and blew the goose's beak or foot off instead of having a clean kill?

But you never hear the 20ga crowd talk smack against people who shoot a 12ga..

Why do some deer hunters use a .30-06 when a .30-30 will kill deer with a lot less recoil? Probably because the 06 is balllistically superior, likewise a .300 RUM will blow the doors off the old crusty .30-06.

The only downside is the cost of ammo, barrel life and for some, recoil. A small price to pay for using a flat shooting, hard hitting 500 yd deer killing machine.

I'll be hunting whitetails and coyotes next month with a Rem 700 chambered in .300 RUM. Why? Because this is America by Golly.

I like a gun that gives me positive feedback. I don't mind recoil, I don't flinch, and muzzle blast makes shooting more fun. For me, I like to announce to all the hunters stationed way off yonder, that I was the one getting the shot.

During a hunt, you hear a distant boom, and everybody is yacking back and forth on the GMRS radio trying to figure out who the lucky person was. Shooting a .300 RUM, everybody knows who it is because it's the loudest gun in the county.

I do feel that people who shoot magnums need to be competant marksmen. They should be able to shoot prone, sitting and standing, as well as putting them in the 10 ring at the bench. Is a .300 RUM fun to shoot at the bench? Not really. My shoulder starts to sting after 10 rds, however I still refuse to let it rattle my nerves enough to make me flinch. If I want to punch paper, I'll simply break out my boring .308

Unfortunately a lot of newbies ( I assume they are newbies because they can't shoot very well ) show up at gun ranges with magnums, and make guys like me look bad.

My .300 RUM will kill whitetails every bit a good as a .30-06. The whitetail sure can't tell the difference.

Page generated in 0.02796 seconds with 8 queries