View Single Post
Old November 18, 2013, 03:49 PM   #53
Dreaming100Straight

It looks like I may be wrong about what REP stands for. If it is Republic Steel, a quick Google indicates that the company has been defunct since 1984. Still, REP. is not necessarily Remington's proof mark.

Looking back to that article I found where the writer talks about the "proof mark" on the barrel. Look at the photo and how it is crudely stamped on the barrel. Instead of an "R" following "R.E.P." in an oval it has what looks like two letters; "iT". Semi-P made that claim on a thread about a metallurgy report that appears to be the basis for claims that the steel in the PP is better than Remington's. I didn't see what he was looking at and cannot comment on it. No one can find the alleged report.

Lastly, without a definitive statement from one of the companies I wouldn't rely on what anyone says about the meaning of those stamps. If the mark on the barrel depicted in this article is a Remington proof mark, that does NOT mean the barrel was manufactured by or for Remington. It could mean that Marlin, which markets the PP under H&R Richardson submits them to Remington for proof testing, if it even means that.

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; November 18, 2013 at 04:28 PM.

Page generated in 0.03152 seconds with 8 queries