View Single Post
Old March 13, 2013, 03:29 PM   #84
Skans

No-Gun: I didn't think guns' primary purpose was up for debate.. Just because a tool can be used for something else does not change its primary purpose. I can use my riding lawnmower (if I had one) for trips to the mall, but that doesn't change the fact that it's primary purpose is to cut grass

For the most part, I agree with you here. Hunting firearms are made to kill animals - how can that even be debated? Handguns are for self-defense against (mainly) other humans - they are designed to stop the threat by inflicting great bodily harm, and/or death.

Now, some will argue that there are "target guns" that use low powered rounds that are not intended to be used for self defense. Target shooting is a sporting off-shoot of defensive and offensive shooting, just as target bow shooting is an off-shoot of bows being used for and designed for killing. It is practice, or refinement, of shooting skills used for essentially killing (or stopping) through inflicting trauma.

Guns, bows, daggers, swords, clubs - all were originally designed for inflicting human carnage.

No-Gun: I would counter that the constitution is a "living" document and the 2nd Amendment's meaning has changed over the years and will continue to do so.

No, this simply is not the case. The meaning of the 2nd Amendment has never changed. It is quite clear, and has consistently been held and understood to convey a right to own firearms to individuals. The Constitution is not a "living" document. It is a foundational document upon which our government was given its right to exist. Can it be changed? Yes, it can, and it has been changed. But, no one has ever sought to change the 2nd Amendment. Until such time as the citizens of this Nation see fit to change the 2nd Amendment, there is nothing, living, breathing, or changing with regard to the 2nd Amendment - and simply "wishing it so" doesn't change a thing.

Last edited by Skans; March 13, 2013 at 03:35 PM.

Page generated in 0.03680 seconds with 8 queries