View Single Post
Old July 7, 2010, 06:36 PM   #14
rg1

I've had a Rem 742 Woodmaster since the 70's and have reloaded for it since about 1980. I've always used a standard RCBS Full-Length sizing die and have never had any problems with all kinds of brass including military cases. I recommend a medium speed powder such as IMR 4064 for bullet weights up to 150 grains and Win 760 to IMR 4350 for the heavier bullets. I would keep velocity and pressure less than loading for a bolt rifle. The 742 if loaded hot, and with too slow powders WILL over time damage the receiver from battering from the rotary bolt locking lugs. At the rear of the receiver when the bolt stops rotating it can over rotate and the locking lugs will dig into the receiver slots. A powder such as IMR 4895 to IMR 4064 will help reduce the force of the bolt at the rear of the receiver. The newer Remington semi's are supposed to have better gas compensation than the original 742's reducing this problem. The damage from the locking lugs at the rear of the receiver is what kills this rifle. Mine has some damage but not a problem with cycling yet. I love mine and have shot it many hundreds of rounds. Mine likes Hornady 150 gr. SP's flat based bullets. Chambers in semi-autos are usually on the long side and my 742 is. Cases shot in mine can stretch up to about .008" on each firing. I adjust my sizing die to not push the shoulder back all the way to zero each time I size. Usually I try to push the shoulder back .004" for my 742. A case gauge such as the RCBS Precision Mic or Hornadys Headspace gauge set would be nice to check your cases when sizing. I have both tools and both are good for checking the amount you size the shoulder back.

Page generated in 0.02664 seconds with 8 queries