View Single Post
Old February 26, 2000, 05:00 AM   #9
pluspinc

I have seen the entire video and the cop tried to intervene in the shooting and seemed to fall as he fired for some unknown reason perhaps the gunman out of camera range at that time was going to shoot etc.
We do not teach stances because they don't apply to real life. Such things are for formal organized target type shooting. Kinda like learning sex.
Most of the things we are shown to do on the range over the years are applicable only to ideal situations which never exist and the assumption is that we will dictate the circumstances and be able to apply a complex system to solve a simple problem.
Today I got an email from a major PD firearms instructor. (dept name upon request by private email). Here is his quote.
" The two cops had fired the course twice and failed both times. I told the sgt to give me 15 mins with them. I showed them the technique and some of the things that you showed me. After 15 min. of instruction both of them passed with no problems. They couldn't believe how simple it was. The method that they had received before made shooting much to complicated. I reduced it down to bare bones. It was amazing how well they did with a minimum amount of instruction."
It is difficult for shooters to believe less is better. We think it takes a very complex effort to shoot in self-defense and then wonder why it doesnt work in reality.
Simple methods are not always fun and entertaining and most shooters want their training to be both and then expect it to work.
Also those in the training business think their efforts won't be marketable unless they can convince potential customers that they hold complex and unique knowledge they can share with the client.
It's like taking a class on how to stay healthy and they tell you to wash your hands a lot and ask for payment.
The system we use is so simple I can hardly put it into words. But the key is to master the simple and KNOWN circumstances of 90+% of the real shootings.

1. 21 feet or less
2. Low light and darkness

Stop and think of those that will tell you the process involves, "evaluated the threat, seek cover, get a stance, do a speed rock, get a flash sight picture, crush grip, remember all the laws, and do a Mozambique drill." What dreamers.

Page generated in 0.02784 seconds with 8 queries