View Single Post
Old June 11, 2009, 08:02 AM   #45
jon_in_wv

There are two ranges close to my house.
One is a state owned range run buy a master shooter who enforces pretty strict rules. He allows me to shoot ass fast as I like on the pistol range but slowfire only on the rifle range with no high capacity mags. ( He is setting up another shooting area for rapid shooting rifles like my AK. ) The range is clean, safe, and I have had very few problems there. I avoid it right before deer season when all the yokels come out to sight in their deer guns but other than that it is a great place to shoot. Pistol range up to 50 yards and rifle range up to 1000.
The other is also a state owned range but there is no range master, no one watches the range. Its covered with trash and spent brass. I've seen every safety violation there is at this place. People walk downrange on a hot range, they don't sweep the firing line with their muzzle they will just have their muzzle pointed at you and don't give it a second thought. One day I went to that range and there was a guy shooting at a target at the 100 yard berm. The 50 yard berm is right next to it and there were two guys standing down range about 10 feet from the target shooting. So the guy at the 100 was shooting right past their heads at his target. They told me to go ahead and start shooting, they didn't mind, "Just don't shoot us, ha ha". I told them the easiest way to assure that was if I didn't do anything that STUPID. I'd wait until they were done. They all got mad, put their guns away, and left. That was probably the smartest thing they did all day.

Page generated in 0.02767 seconds with 8 queries