View Single Post
Old February 5, 2001, 10:07 PM   #7
Mike Kilo Niner

The South African rig is way slick -- I'd get one except for the fact that I have all this old ALICE gear laying around. So here's how I made myself a little "3-Day-Lite" pack:

Components Required-

1 GI Pistol Belt
1 GI Pistol Belt Pad
1 Camelbak/Hydrastorm/Whatever works for you mini pack -- I
use the Hydrastorm Cyclone because I got it cheap from a
friend. CamelBak HAWG or MULE or something similar would
do the trick.
Assorted pouches that attach with ALICE clips -- pick whatever works for you.

(1) Thread the (unpadded) pack waist belt through the attachment loops that hold the belt pad to the pistol belt. (2) Attach ALICE gear to the belt.

Voila! Instant light pack with ALICE attachment points. Easily adaptable for a hunting daypack or whatever you need a light pack and ammo pouches for. :P

The advantage to the Hydrastorm Cyclone is that it has Blackhawk attachment webbing for two butt packs (on the back) and a couple of miscellaneous pouches (on the sides). Going camping: clip on the buttpacks for more storage and cinch your bedroll to the buttpack's bottom. Just out for a stroll? Shed the extra gear and you've got a light bag with water and a MUCH more comfortable waist belt. Hiking in bear country? Clip a holster to the belt and pack that big old revolver.

It'd be nice if some company made something like this "out of the box," but with surplus web gear so cheap it's easy to rig your own -- just the way you like it.

Admittedly, this is slightly OT, since the Hydrastorm will set you back more than $100 (most likely). But I just thought I'd share. I'll borrow a digital camera and post some pics if anyone cares to see them.

Cheers,
MK9
with oxygen.
-- Kurt Vonnegut

Page generated in 0.02777 seconds with 8 queries