View Single Post
Old October 4, 2000, 05:01 PM   #3
BadMedicine

Yes, a scope does make you a better shot, kinda. If you fear not being able to make a clean shot over 200 yrds. then don't, but I wouldn't say there was a "high risk" of gut shots at this range, if you know your firearm, and can perform with it. The scope maginifies the deer making the kill zone appear larger, also, crosshairs cover up very little of the deer, you can pinpoint precisly where the lead will hit *theoretically*. With iron sights, you cover up the bottom half of the target, and have to line up the sights, and make sure both sides of the front sight have an equal amount of space by them. I don't mean 10 yrds equal, I meant 200yrds precise, because a knats hairs differents may be a miss, or worse yet, a gut shot. With iron sights I wouldn't take a big game shot at say, over 150, and that would be kinda a stretch, but with a scope, and a good solid rest, I'd feel comfy out to 300, and maybe farther depending on circumstances. My advise, if you are hunting the desert, with wide open hilly areas, go with a scope. And if it was my garand, I wouldn't put a scope on it. I guess you just NEED another rifle, don't cha?

Page generated in 0.03552 seconds with 8 queries