View Single Post
Old November 15, 2012, 11:54 AM   #27
BigJimP

lack of autoindexing on the 550 ...is a reason to go to the 650 .../ but you can load high quality safe ammo on the 550 - especially if you use powders that will overfill the case - if you double charge ( not a powder like Hodgdon TiteGroup !! )....

Go to an auto parts store ...get a small flexible shaft mirror / they're usually round and about 3" accross....and cable tie it to the press - so you can move it around and see into the case after you drop the powder & before you seat the bullet. Also make sure you have really good light on the press....like a Halogen lamp ...adjustable in all 4 directions ( like an old draftman's lamp ) or something that you can pick up at an auto supply store....both will help.

stay focused ...and only load for an hour at a time max....to keep your focus !

Think about your practices...
a. only keep one kind of primer on your bench at a time...
b. only one type of powder on the bench at one time....
c. only one bullet type on bench....
d. keep the bench clean...
e. use a "case gague" to check every round before you box them up...
f. double check that everything is adjusted - and tight - on the press.
g. When I start the press - I weigh the first 10 powder drops - to make sure its dead nuts on my goal. My range from min to max may only be 0.6 grain say 3.4 - 4.0 grains ...so my goal may be 3.7grains...and I don't want anything below 3.6 or above 3.8 with 90% of them, or more, right at 3.7 - but most scales are only accurate to + - 0.1grain......after I measure the first 10 and its ok / then I check 1 in 5 / then 1 in 10 / then 1 in 25....as long as I am dead certain I am still maintaining the 3.7gr goal.

Its all the little things...

Page generated in 0.02411 seconds with 8 queries