View Single Post
Old November 6, 2008, 12:52 PM   #588
carguychris

Quote:
1) Smith and Wesson model 36 2" bbl. blue 38 spcl ser# j721xx
1969-1970. FWIW if it has adjustable sights, it's a real rarity and is worth double the value of a fixed-sight 2" M36, possibly more.
Quote:
2) Smith and Wesson appears to be victory model dull grey finish, case hardened trigger and hammer, 4" bbl,,38spcl, lanyard ring, smooth walnut grips, BUT there is no V in the serial number and I can't find any flaming bombs or other US property markings. bbl., cylinder, frame, extractor, all have the same ser# 997xxx. crane of the gun has the number 39538. I tried to do some research on this one, but I am real confused.
It's a Victory. Early Victories were numbered in sequence with the .38 M&P Model of 1905, 4th Change, and didn't have any special prefixes or anything. Very early Victories actually had stocks and finish just like regular commercial M&Ps, the only differences being the lanyard loop and acceptance marks. The "V" took the place of the 7th serial number digit when production exceeded 1 million.

Later Victories had a prefix "SV" after the redesigned "Safety" hammer block was added, with the "S" being hastily and often sloppily stamped onto frames that were already on the production line when the change was made. S&W later omitted the "V", leaving the prefix "S". The "C" and "D" prefixes were used when production exceeded 2 million and 3 million M&Ps respectively.

The lack of "U.S. PROPERTY" marks is not unusual for a .38Spl Victory bound for American service, although it's still found on many of these guns. The flaming bomb in absolutely miniscule. Many pictures of Victories don't give you an appreciation of how small it is. It's more like a flaming speck. Look closer.

Last edited by carguychris; November 6, 2008 at 12:57 PM.

Page generated in 0.03490 seconds with 8 queries