View Single Post
Old August 23, 2013, 08:32 PM   #7
tahunua001

Quote:
1. Why is it that a .223 has so much more respect than a .22lr?! Are the bullets not relatively the same size?
even though both bullets are almost the exact same diameter 223 has the advantage of both weight and velocity which compute to much more energy than what the 22LR is capable of. the average bullet weight for 22lr is about 38 grains and is traveling 1100 Feet per second. the average 223 is 55 grains and travels more than double that around 2700FPS.

Quote:
2. What does .30 caliber mean? Does this include .308? 30-06? 30-30?
30 caliber means the same as 45 caliber in handguns. it is .30 of an inch in diameter. this is a very broad description of bullets that are roughly .30'. 308, 30-30, 30 carbine, 30-40, 30-06, are all actually .308 inch in diameter. getting into metric descriptions murkies the waters a bit. 7.62 is usually considered the equivalent of 30 caliber and 7.62x51mm nato is almost identical to 308 winchester but 7.62x39mm, 7.62x54MM are actually 311 diameter(where the last 2 digits refer to length of the case rather than diameter of the bullet). interestingly enough 303 brit and 7.7 japanese also use 311 diameter bullets.

Quote:
3. What is a good versatile hunting round?
I prefer 243 for a good first time rifle owner, it's a very flat shooting round, has reasonable amount of recoil and still plenty of power for hunting medium game.

Quote:
4. What is a good tactical round?
no such thing as a tactical round. tactics are a mindset not a tool set. to quote another member here, I can tactically wipe my butt but there is no such thing as tactical toilet paper. good para military designs like the AR15 and AK47 clones use 5.56x45mm(the closest metric equivalent on 223) and 7.62x39 respectively. 7.62x39 has more stopping power up close but 223 is much more effective over range and more inherently accurate.

Quote:
Also, why are AR-15 rifles so popular given that they are chambered for a relatively small round? (That question -well, this entire post- could be a testament to my ignorance)
the AR15 is a very good design that lends itself to battle field tactics(for right handed shooters anyway). everything is in just the right spot so that you don't have to unshoulder the gun or remove your firing hand or even break sight picture. the AK can not claim the same. the AR15 is also a very modular design. you don't like the pistol grip? there are dozens to choose from. you don't like the butt stock? there's a few of them as well. trigger? handguard? the AR15 is easily modified, either for aesthetic reasons, ergonomics or even accurizing. no other design is so easy to work with and that is why ARs are so popular.

Page generated in 0.02563 seconds with 8 queries