View Single Post
Old December 2, 2008, 05:35 PM   #5
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a couple of other ways to do what you want to do.

Suppose you wanted to put the person's name in your quote (you might want to do this because you're quoting someone a page or two back). After you got your initial quote around the material,

[quote]Some kind of text[/quote]

which then would look like this:
Quote:
Some kind of text
You add their name like this:

[quote=You]Some kind of text[/quote]

Which makes it look like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Some kind of text
Sometimes it can get a little more complex. Say you wrote something and someone else responded to what you wrote. Now you want to respond to what they wrote, but want it completely in context, so there won't be any misunderstanding. What you do is this:

[quote=You][quote=Me]I said something.[/quote]You replied something else.[/quote]

You could also "block diagram" the structure like this:

[quote=You]
[quote=Me]I said something.[/quote]
You replied something else.[/quote]

Regardless, it comes out looking like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
I said something.
You replied something else.
This type of "nesting" quotes can be taken to several levels:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Her
Quote:
Originally Posted by Him
Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
I said something.
You replied something else.
He stated a rebuttal of both You and I
She rebutted everyone!
To do this, notice how the "reverse order" of who said what is used:

[quote=Her]
[quote=Him]
[quote=You]
[quote=Me]I said something.[/quote]
You replied something else.[/quote]
He stated a rebuttal of both You and I[/quote]
She rebutted everyone![/quote]

There's one more device that can be used.

Suppose you wanted to reference something that someone wrote, but it was in another thread? The current vBulletin version has a little device to do just that, within the quote:

[quote=flight954;3159718]I can't for the life of me figure out how to insert a quote from another persons post. Can somebody help a brother out?[/quote]

Notice that I inserted a semi-colon after the name and then put some kind of number there? That refers to the actual post I'm referencing. You can find it in the url of the post (upper right hand corner of the post). Just right click the post number, save the link to the clipboard and paste it into the quote command, then delete everything except the number itself. It ends up looking like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flight954 View Post
I can't for the life of me figure out how to insert a quote from another persons post. Can somebody help a brother out?
Then you can just click on the little and be taken directly to the thread, with that post you are referencing.

There. Everything you wanted to know about using quotes, but never thought to ask.

Page generated in 0.03709 seconds with 8 queries