View Single Post
Old November 30, 2010, 09:27 PM   #16
straightShot

Throw away the decapping die that you have, and buy a Lee decapping die for $10. I believe that's what they cost at MidwayUSA.

I had an RCBS decapping die (not the Dillon, but more costly than the Lee), and I bought extra pins because I broke a few. I was determined to make it work. I finally got fed up and decided to try the Lee. It wasn't worth it to me to keep trying to get the RCBS to work all the time.

With the inexpensive Lee, I've deprimed thousands of cases. I did actually break the decapping rod once, but it was because I forced it on a Berdan primed case to see if the rod would back out under excessive pressure. It didn't.

The rod didn't back out when the pin bottomed out on the bottom of the Berdan primed case because I torqued the nut that holds the top of the decapping rod in the die as hard as I could. That was my mistake. It couldn't back out when it hit the bottom of the case like I thought it would as I continued to apply pressure. The good thing was that I learned how it really worked and it only cost me $2 for the lesson. Since this test, I haven't broken another.

When I feel a Berdan primed case on the down stroke, I ease up and toss the case into my scrap bucket. It's simple. Crimped primers are another story, however. The Lee Universal Decapping die handles them without a problem and pops all of the primers out.

If you want it to just work, try the Lee, and put the other die on the shelf. I've put many thousands of crimped cases of military brass through without a problem.

This works for me, and I wish you good luck!

Page generated in 0.03643 seconds with 8 queries