View Single Post
Old November 3, 2008, 02:23 PM   #1
jmluds

Ruger M77 MII 30-06 Help

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I am kind of new to the rifle modification/accurizing scene and am looking for some help and info.

I currently own a Ruger M77 Mark II Stainless/Synthetic 30-06 (one of the older ones with the skeleton style stock). I am having some difficulty getting it to group well. I have tried many different factory loads and seem to average 3" groups, with the best groups being about 2" at 100 yds. After this fall's whitetail season, I am pretty much going to pull out all of the stops and do whatever I need to get this thing to group better. I am looking for some help from some of the more experienced as far as what of the following will give me the best bang for the buck, which order to do things, etc. Here is what I'm considering. I am looking for comments on the following as well as suggestions for anything that I've overlooked.

1. Handloading - see if experimentation with handloads will improve the accuracy of this rifle.

2. New stock - purchase a stock from HS Precision, Bell and Carlson, etc (any other recommendations?) and install it

3. Glass Bedding of the new stock - Does glass bedding enhance accuracy of a high end full-length aluminum bedding block stock?

4. New Barrel - Purchase a new barrel from Lilja, Hart, etc. and get the action squared etc, when the barrel is installed.

Assuming that I can get this thing to group well, I am also planning on getting a new scope and trigger, but neither of those is causing my 100yd accuracy problems.

Where should I start? Or, would I be better off starting from scratch with a new rifle? Any help is appreciated.

Also, what are the other good centerfire rifle forums? Not planning on double posting this, just wondering for future reading.

Thanks!

Page generated in 0.03684 seconds with 8 queries