Thread: .38 lc ammo
View Single Post
Old October 27, 2011, 09:42 PM   #13
Mike Irwin
Staff

"But then someone apparently mentioned the nasty old Hague Convention, so they had to go to a jacketed bullet and the Mk 2 ammo they used in WWII had a 178 grain jacketed bullet."

Sort of.

The .380 Mk I was adopted around 1924-1926 and remained the standard service load at least in to the middle to late 1930s.

It wasn't until it became pretty clear that there was going to be another European war, and Britain was going to be in it, that concerns over the Hague Accords (Geneva Convention, Hague Accords) were raised.

That's when the .380 Mk II was adopted, which had a jacketed bullet of approximate 180 grains.

Even so, when war came, there wasn't enough of the Mk II ammo to go around, so British troops were dispatched to France with both Mk I and Mk II ammunition, and both were used in combat.

But, when war came there wasn't a lot of either kind of ammo, so at the same time the British were also buying .380 ammunition on the foreign market, primarily from the Americans, and apparently much of it was Remington with the 200 gr. lead bullet.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Page generated in 0.03357 seconds with 8 queries