View Single Post
Old April 8, 2014, 07:28 PM   #7
Nathan

Quote:
Hello,

I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for a first timer? I have very little experience with any type of firearms. I have smaller hands and I'm a medium build. I was looking at .38 revolvers or 9mm pistols with a price range up to $500. I would primarily being using it for self-defense purposes eventually aiming for a concealed carry for the firearm. Any recommendations or assistance would be appreciated.
Welcome. Always good to have a new guy around. Search is your friend. The word beginner will get you pages of threads where we all have posted all of our knowledge and a few guesses.

Both are fine. My recommendation is that you will learn alot with your first choice, but in the end, it will likely be wrong for you in the long run.

I would recommend a Glock 19. It will be incredibly reliable. Most people like them. It is possible to CCW the gun comfortably for most people.

BUT, If you were a close friend, I would likely try to sway you toward an XDM 9. It is a similar size, but IMO, has a better trigger, is safer with the grip safety, and has better stock sights.

The 38 spec revolver is a nice gun. Something in a nice fixed sight 3" S&W K frame. . . .The problem is this would likely be a used gun.

My story: I studied for like a year and decided I need a Taurus PT-101. It was great, well sort of. . .Actually, I learned how meaningless fixed sights are on a combat auto. Also, the white dot was off center in the front sight. So much for Taurus quality. Then a while later, I found 1911's. . .After some pain, I realized I love the platform, but hate the low end crap guns. I also had to buy a Glock 21 and finally admit that in a good holster, they are not a bad gun. Can't forget the joy of owning some XD's and a S&W 19 as well as a few other fine pistols.

Page generated in 0.02867 seconds with 8 queries