View Single Post
Old July 20, 2012, 03:11 PM   #21
BlueTrain

I agree with what he said (which I think I alread said) but competition is an artificial situation to begin with and I think everyone understands that. I wouldn't go so far as to say it necessarily creates bad habits. And I wouldn't say that anyone sees it as training for anything. It may be good preparation but it still isn't training.

What I would say, on the other hand, is that bad practices in training will create bad practices in "real life." I know you've probably heard about trainees being instructed to keep their brass policed up. That sort of thing. Some aspects of training situations, just like in competitions, are hard to avoid, though, without a doubt, unless you're willing to accept a high level of risk of injury. And then there's the simple fact of having to manage either a large number of competitors or a large number of trainees. I don't have any specific suggestions. It's been a long time since I had anything to do with training.

Another more basic problem is the different ideas that various instructors have. This ought to be less of a problem in a large law enforcement agency but more of one for a non-law enforcement individual who wants to increase his skill levels and takes a course from someone. Some of those folks can be awfully dogmatic, I understand.
Buy War Bonds.

Page generated in 0.02544 seconds with 8 queries