View Single Post
Old October 22, 2012, 07:47 AM   #6
Misssissippi Dave

I use Montana Gold bullets for .38 and .357 mag. They are jacketed hollow points. They are pretty easy to set. You don't need much flair to seat them similar to 9 mm. You do use a roll crimp. I use standard primers for .38 special and mag primers for the magnum loads. For .38 special I'm using the same bullet (Montana Gold 158 gr. JHP) as I do for .357. I use a different powder WST at 4.0 gr. Both are clean burning and the .38 is very clean burning. I shoot these in a Dan Wesson with 4" barrel.

Lead bullets are cheaper. You do need to pay a little more attention to the flair used and the crimp with lead. Also loading lead can have some of the lube start to mess with your OAL until you clean your die out from time to time. Jacketed bullets don't give me as much of a problem. Rather easy to load them. I also don't have to worry as much about over crimp with jacketed as I would with plated. Jacketed bullets are just more forgiving. I also don't worry about leading because I used an under sized bullet as I would with lead.

Your mileage may vary.

Page generated in 0.03414 seconds with 8 queries