View Single Post
Old May 2, 2007, 10:13 PM   #1
xjz

Random Reloading questions

I have a couple random questions I've been thinking about for a few months and have searched a couple time not fully answering any of them,

1. Is the internal volume of the cartridge what really matters with respect to pressure instead of COAL? For example if I have a 200 gr RNFP bullet and a 165 gr RNFP bullet which has the same profile but .050" shorter in lenght can I make the 200 gr bullet into a cartridge with a COAL at 1.250" then make the 165 gr bullet into a cartridge with the same powder charge but make the COAL 1.200" and maintain the same internal pressure? Would the pressure still go down some because the bullet weight is less even though the internal volume is the same?

2A. Is there a calculation you can use to calculate the internal pressure of a round from the measured velocity and weight of the projectile?

2B. I understand most people use a Chrony for just measuring velocity so they can try to match their reload velocity to a factory round velocity. Do you do that to be sure your reload doensn't have too high of a pressure as the factory actually measures their pressures but there is no real way to back calculate pressure from velocity and projectile weight?

3. Are signs of excess pressure seen in a pistol cartridge (flattened primer, back extruded primer into firing pin hole, unsupported case bulge) around 25000 psi seen when you wouldn't normally see those signs in a rifle cartridge until it reaches 60000 psi, or am I completely wrong?

Thanks for any clarification you can give me on these random thoughts.

Page generated in 0.02304 seconds with 8 queries