View Single Post
Old July 30, 2011, 10:02 AM   #3
Hunter Customs

Quote:
After getting it back, I noticed that anytime I grip the pistol with my left hand and rack the slide with my right, the hammer doesn't seem to cock back (get no click when pulling the trigger). I went back in and inquired about this and the smith told me that I am not supposed to engage the grip safety when racking the slide. 'It's supposed to function that way on a 1903. Hammer will cock when it is not depressed.'. Well, it does like he said.

Well...Something doesn't sound right. Im pretty sure I was able to have the hammer engage anytime I racked the slide before this. I never noticed that. I understand that a grip safety is to prevent accidental discharge if the trigger is engaged, however it doesn't seem right that this would prevent the hammer cocking back. I don't remember this being this way originally.

But it does engage some of the time with the grip safety engaged. The crazy thing is...most of the time, if pistol is racked while placing/leaning it on its left side, the hammer will engage back. Same thing goes for racking it towards the muzzle. Anytime the pistol is leaning towards the right, it rarely engages the hammer back (holding in my left hand as mentioned above). I know it wounds crazy but I wouldn't post this if I hadn't tried different ways all evening. The only sure way I can ensure the hammer cocks back is to keep my hand off the grip safety.

What do you all think? Does this sound right? Or maybe parts are worn or maybe not assembled correctly? Any help would be appreciated.
It sounds to me that the gun is not assembled correctly.

I just put one of these together for a gentleman , and the hammer cocks and stays back with the grip safety depressed, which is the way the gun should work.

I will say these little guns can be a challegene to reassemble, it helps if you have four hands, after the assembling sequence is figured out.

I recommend you do not fire the gun until it's been checked out and assembled correctly.
I also would not continue cycling the gun the way it is as you may cause damage to some of the parts, if not already.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Page generated in 0.02807 seconds with 8 queries