View Single Post
Old July 6, 2006, 12:54 AM   #8
samsmix

No. The .257 (and the 25-06) is not a great elk rifle, but I consider it a practical minimum for this task, whereas the .243 is just too light to consider. I do know of a local man who, due to a detatched retina, cannot handle recoil, and who kills elk regularly with a .223, but he is essentially bowhunting with a rifle. He takes only CNS shots at 100yds or less.
What I was really putting the .257 forth as was a great deer rifle that would double for elk in a pinch.

I used the 120gr Nosler +P loaded by Fed for years. This was an okay load, but it never did do better than about 1.5". I always felt the gun could do better. Last year I used 100gr SP from Dick Brown Custom, a load he claims just touches 3100fps mark (pretty much max). The accuracy was awsome, and I saved about 10 bucks a box! I shot a deer with it. My wife shot 2. My friend Sean shot his first two. All went down like they were struck by lightning, but there was a pair of separated jackets. Ranges were from 75 to 420yds (No wind. Known distance. Bi-pod....Couldn't resist!)

I loved how flat this load shot, but next year I think 100gr partitions will be the bullet of choice. This load so closely matches the 100-500yard crosshairs on my wifes Burris ballistic plex scope, that she was able score 8 consecutive hits on a 9" target at 500yds. Mind you, we do NOT regularly shoot that far while hunting, but it's nice to know you can in the event you need to put down a wounded animal. If an animal is previously hit, in my book, all range limitations are off.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?

Page generated in 0.02092 seconds with 8 queries