View Single Post
Old January 17, 2012, 05:28 PM   #9
johnmcgowan

The front forearm on the Boyd has lots more space between the wood and the barrel than the original ruger synthetic stock did. Im gonna disassemble the rifle tonight and have a looksee just to see how much room I have to work with on the inside of the stock. I do recall there are some scalloped out empty places in the bottom of the forearm . I will try and measure the clearance 'tween the barrel and wood BEFORE I take it apart to get some type of benchmark measurement.
Im just in the thinking and planning stages on this, but one thing that came to mind is to go by Lowe's and get a white nylon round washer ring thats sorta thick. It already has a hole in the center of it. Again, this is just my planning stages, but then I will try and cut the nylon washer in half , drill out the remaining half hole to match the barrel diameter and use this to make a good solid craddle to let the bottom of the barrel sit in. Once that is all looking good and fits like I want it to, I could epoxy this to the inside of the forearm. This would make a good solid mount and hold the barrel steady I think. But I hear you loud and clear SL1, I'll make a temp mount first to determine the spacing, then go out and shoot a few rounds to see if this helps anything. I will try one thing at a time until we get this puppy nailed down
Im guessing that the shim /mount needs to be as close to the end of the forearm as possible, right?
You guys are great!
Thanks,
John

Page generated in 0.03963 seconds with 8 queries